The body clock shift back strategy is for when a child is falling asleep too late at night and their bedtime needs to be moved to a more appropriate time.
- Use a sleep diary to find the average time your child falls asleep.
- Start your child's evening routine 1 hour before this time. They will then be getting into bed an hour later at the time they are usually falling asleep.
- Once your child has fallen asleep within 15 minutes of going to bed for 3 nights, start the routine 15 minutes earlier so that they get into bed 15 minutes earlier.
- Once your child falls asleep again within 15 minutes, move everything back again by 15 minutes.
- Continue doing this until your child is falling asleep at an appropriate time and not feeling sleepy in the day.