When your baby is around six months old you can start to introduce family foods.
If you would like to attend a face-to-face or a virtual 'Introducing family foods workshop', please speak to your Health Visiting team or contact the Surrey-wide 0-19 Advice Line on 01883 340 922.
Introducing family foods is a really important step in your baby’s development and it can be great fun to explore new flavours and textures together.
Visit the NHS Start4Life website to watch a useful video guide on starting your baby on solid and family foods.
When and how to start
- Visit the First Steps Nutrition website for tips on what first foods to try, fun recipe ideas and information about ready-made shop-bought processed baby foods
- Visit our Infant feeding including breastfeeding webpage for breastfeeding advice.
- How we eat
- Foods we choose
- Fussy eaters
- Composition of children's food
- Visit the First Steps Nutrition website for formula milk information.
- Visit the Start4Life website for information about vegetarian and vegan diets
- Visit the First Steps Nutrition website for information about vegan diets
- Visit our Vitamin D and Healthy Start Scheme webpage for useful advice
Safety, first aid and dental health
- Information about safety and first aid
- Visit the NHS website for dental advice for children
- Ten top tips for introducing solid and family foods.
- Watch this video about how you can help your children to develop healthy eating habits
- Visit the Henry website for activity ideas