Our school nursing teams provide health screening within state schools as part of the National Child Measurement Programme.
Your child's school nurse team will screen your child when they are in Reception class (aged 4-5 years) to review their general health and school readiness including height, weight, vision and hearing (if required).
We will send you a letter about screening your child. This will include information about how to opt out if you do not wish your child to be screened, or if you do not want your child's National Child Measurement Programme information to be shared with Public Health England.
If you have any concerns about your child’s health and development while in school (for example, eating, hearing, sleeping, behaviour), please contact our advice line.
All Year 6 children (aged 10-11 years) will be offered height and weight screening as part of the National Child Measurement Programme.
Schools will email pre-measurement information two weeks before your child is due to screened. If you do not want your child to take part, you will need to complete an opt-out form.
If you have any concerns about your child’s health and development while in school (for example, hearing, eating, sleeping, behaviour), please contact our advice line or visit the Healthy Surrey website.
Visit the School Nursing page to get in touch with your local school nursing team.
For further information
- To follow up a referral
- For example, for developmental paediatrics or therapy services. Contact the One Stop referral centre (tel: 0300 222 5755, Option 2)
- For advice or questions about your child's health and two year development checks
- Referrals for ASD, ADHD or another neurological/developmental condition
- Your GP will need to make a referral. Visit the Developmental Paediatrics page for more information about these services in Surrey.
- Access to mental health services
- Your GP needs to refer your child via CAMHS
- Hearing concerns
- Contact the Audiology service
- Concerns or complaints about a Children and Family Health Surrey service
If your query is not covered by the routes above, please use the form below to contact us. Your query will be passed to the relevant team who will aim to respond within seven working days.