Accessibility tools

What to do if your child is unwell

As a parent or carer it can be difficult to know what to do when your child is unwell.

The NHS has produced a Getting help when your child is ill leaflet explaining which service to use and when, and also when to care for your child at home if they have a common illness.

In the sections below, you can find out about:

  • Our Advice Line
  • Information about child illnesses
  • Feeding and sleeping advice
  • When to contact your GP or NHS 111

Watch a video from our school nurse Charlene to find out what to do if your child is unwell. 

School nurse video

Watch a video from our health visitor Carmella to find out what to do if your baby or infant is unwell.

Health visitor video


Advice Line

If you are have questions about your baby or child, or they are unwell, you can call our Surrey-wide 0-19 Advice Line on: 01883 340 922

The advice line is available from 8am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays) and provides support on all aspects of child health, development and parenting.

Feeding and sleeping advice

Visit the feeding your baby/infant when they have Bronchiolitis webpage for further information about feeding your baby/infant when they are unwell.

Visit the Sleep and your baby webpage for further information about safe sleeping when your baby is unwell.

When to contact your GP or NHS 111

You should contact your GP or call NHS 111 if:

  • you're worried about your child
  • your child has takenless than half their usual amount during the last two or three feeds, or they have had a dry nappy for 12 hours or more
  • your child has a persistent high temperature of 38 degrees Celcius or above
  • your child seems very tired or irritable.

For further information

  • To follow up a referral
    • For example, for developmental paediatrics or therapy services. Contact the One Stop referral centre (tel: 0300 222 5755, Option 2)
  • For advice or questions about your child's health and two year development checks
  • Referrals for ASD, ADHD or another neurological/developmental condition
  • Access to emotional wellbeing and mental health services
  • Hearing concerns
  • Concerns or complaints about a Children and Family  Health Surrey service

If your query is not covered by the routes above, please use the form below to contact us.  Your query will be passed to the relevant team who will aim to respond within seven working days.