27 month reviews

Service overview

When your child turns two, you will be offered two development reviews: one by early years' education (if he/she attends a nursery or pre-school) and one by health.

If your child is within an early years education setting, the education review will take place at your child's Ofsted-registered childcare (nursery school or child minder) and is called the Two Year Progress Check.

The second review is carried out by a Children and Family Health Surrey health professional (normally a community nursery nurse) when your child is around 27 months old. It is called the 27 Month Development Review. This review may take place within a group with other 27 month olds and their parents.

The results of the education progress check should be kept in your child's 'red book' and will be reviewed by the health professional during the health development review.

While there may be some overlap, each review is important and has a different focus on your child's progress and development, and between them will identify your child’s progress, strengths and needs so you and your health professional and education provider can promote your child's health and wellbeing, learning and development.

Our Health Visitor advice lines and Child health drop ins provide support for you and your family on all aspects of child health, development and parenting.  On these pages you will find all information and contact details. 

For further information

  • To follow up a referral

For example, for developmental paediatrics or therapy services such as speech and language therapy. Contact the One Stop referral centre (tel: 0300 222 5755, Option 2) and they will be able to advise.

  • For advice or questions about your child's health

​Contact your local Health Visiting team or call their Advice Line

  • 2 year development checks

​Contact your local Health Visiting team or call their Advice Line 

  • Referrals for ASD, ADHD or another neurological/developmental condition

Your GP will need to make a referral. Visit the Developmental Paediatrician service page for more information about these services in Surrey.

  • Access to mental health services

Your GP needs to refer your child via MINDSIGHT Surrey CAHMS

  • Hearing concerns

Contact the Audiology service 

  • Concerns or complaints about a Children and Family  Health Surrey service

Go to https://childrenshealthsurrey.nhs.uk/feedback to read about our approach and who to contact. You can also email the Patient Experience Team directly using csh.patientexperience@nhs.net 

If your query is not covered by the routes above, please use the form below to contact us.  Your query will be passed to the relevant team who will aim to respond within 7 working days.