Information for parents
All staff in Baby Friendly facilities are trained to give accurate and consistent information and to support you while breastfeeding.
During pregnancy your health visitor will have a discussion with you about caring for and developing a relationship with your baby, feeding your baby, including the benefits of breastfeeding. This will provide you with all the facts you need to make an informed decision.
After your baby is born you will be encouraged to hold your baby skin to skin for as long as you like and until they receive their first feed.
A midwife will offer to help you to start breastfeeding in the first half hour or so after your baby is born. Your baby will be kept with you at all times.
If you decide to breastfeed:
A midwife will show you how to hold your baby and how to help them latch on– this will make sure they get enough milk and that feeding is not painful.
Your midwife will offer to show you how to express your milk by hand. You will receive information about the support available for breastfeeding once you leave hospital.
If you decide to bottle feed, staff will support you. They will ask if you want to be taught how to make up a bottle properly and will answer any questions you have and discuss responsive bottle feeding. For further information about infant formulas visit:First Steps Nutrition.
At the New Birth Visit your health visitors will check that you are happy with your baby’s feeding and complete a breastfeeding assessment with you so that you feel confident that breastfeeding is going well and where you can get help and information.
When your baby is around six months old you can start to introduce family foods.
Find out about overcoming breastfeeding problems
You may find whilst trying to establish breastfeeding that you run into problems. Whilst these can be debilitating and painful, thankfully the most common ones can be solved relatively quickly and easily – given the right support.
Unfortunately, too often support is not available or, what is worse, mothers are told that problems such as engorgement and sore nipples are a normal part of breastfeeding. This is not true.
Here, you can read about how different problems develop, how to spot them at an early stage and how to solve them, either by yourself, or with the support of a health professional.
Local breastfeeding support in Surrey
The information below is correct as of January 2018. However, the dates and times of clinics do change from time to time, so please do ring them first to check the clinic is still running before leaving home. If any of the information below is incorrect, please do tell us so we can update it for others (email: firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you.
Breastfeeding support in west Surrey
• Snuggles & Cuddles Guildford 9.30am-11.30am T: 01483 566 589. Guildford Children’s Centre, Hazel Avenue, Guildford GU1 1NR (refreshments available)
• Woking Baby Café 10am - 12 noon T: 01483 727 900. The Y Pod Centre, Chobham Road, Woking, GU21 6JD (refreshments available)
• St Peter’s Midwives at Clarendon Children’s¬¬¬ Centre 2- 3.30pm (please phone first) T: 01784 424 759. Knapp Road, Ashford TW15 2HZ
• Frimley Midwives at Hale Children’s Centre, Monday 1.00-4pm Upper Hale Road, Hale, Farnham, Surrey GU9 0LR. tel: 07974324379
appointment only for breastfeeding support drop-in tongue tie assessment
• Cranleigh Bosom Buddies 10am - 11.30am T: 01483 276 634. Cranleigh Baptist Church, 262 High St, Cranleigh GU6 8RT (refreshments available)
• Snuggles & Cuddles, Addlestone 12.30 to 2.30pm T: 01932 851 502. Sayes Court Children’s Centre, Sayes Court Farm Drive, Addlestone KT15 1NB (refreshments available)
• Royal Surrey County Hospital (midwives) 10.30am - 12 noon T: 01483 464 004
• Spelthorne Breastfeeding Café 12.30pm - 2pm T: 01784 424 759. Clarendon Children’s Centre, Knapp Road, Ashford TW15 2HZ (refreshments available)
• Midwives community drop-in 11.30- 1pm (phone first please) T: 01276 473 093. School Lane, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5BP
• Snuggles & Cuddles Godalming 1pm - 3 pm T: 01483 419 325. Green Lane, Farncombe, Godalming GU7 3TB (refreshments available).
• Frimley Midwives at Hale Children’s Centre, Thursday 1.00-4pm
Upper Hale Road, Hale, Farnham, Surrey GU9 0LR. tel: 07974324379 (appointment only)
Breastfeeding support in mid Surrey
• Riverview Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in as part of baby group) 9.30am - 11am (except on Bank Holidays) T: 020 8337 7310. Riverview Road, West Ewell, KT19 OJP
• Bourne Hall Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12 noon (except on Bank Holidays). T: 0208 394 1301. Bourne Hall Health Centre (1st floor), Ewell Village, Ewell, KT17 1TG (we ask that if possible you park at the Bourne Hall Library and Civic Centre as parking at the health centre is extremely limited and is often required by the elderly and infirm. Thank you)
• Ashtead Little Treasure's Baby Group (drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) 11am - 12.30pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 01372 812 754. St Georges Christian Centre, Barnett Wood Lane, Ashtead KT21 2DA (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
• Epsom Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in) 1pm - 3pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 01372 749 834. Pound Lane, Epsom, KT19 8SD
• Naturally Yours Breastfeeding Cafe (drop-in) Monday 1pm - 3pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 0208 722 0280. Thomas Wall Children's Centre, 69 Western Road, Sutton, SM1 2SX.
• Breastfeeding Support Group (drop-in) 11.00 am - 12 noon T: 01737 355 302. The Children's Centre, Epsom Downs Primary School, St Leonard's Road, Epsom Downs, KT18 5RJ
• Rockers & Rollers Baby group (0-6 months only) Breastfeeding and Infant feeding advice 10am - 11.30am T: 01372 730 435. St Martin's Children's Centre, Worple Road, Epsom KT18 7AA (NB. Numbers are restricted due to small venue)
• Leatherhead Little Treasures Baby Group(drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) Every 2nd Tuesday of the month 10am – 11.30am T: 01372 812 754. Leatherhead Trinity Children's Centre, Aperdele Road, Leatherhead KT22 7QT (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
• Thames Ditton Children's Centre Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12 noon T: 0208 979 6464. Mercer Close, Thames Ditton, Surrey, KT7 0BS
• YMCA, Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in after Baby Groups) Wednesday 12.15 - 1pm T: 01737 362 058. The Horseshoe, Bolters Lane, Banstead, SM7 2BQ
• Tweedale Children's Centre Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12.00 noon T: 0208 404 1640. Tweedale Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 1SW (Note: free parking in Sutton Arena - opposite the centre)
• Bookham Little Treasure's Baby Group (drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) 10am – 11.30am (term time only) T: 01372 812 754. Leatherhead Trinity Children's Centre, Bookham Baptist Church, Lower Road, Bookham KT23 4DH (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
• Dorking Children's Centre (drop in) 1.30pm - 3.30pm T: 01306 743 341/882 397. Goodwyns Road, Dorking, RH4 2LR
• Meadow Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in) 9.30am - 11.30am T: 020 8393 9320. Sparrow Farm Road (entrance via Waverley Road), Stoneleigh, KT17 2LW
Breastfeeding support in east Surrey
Baby Cafés provide support for breastfeeding mothers in a relaxed environment.
• Oxted Baby Café 1.30pm - 3pm T: 01883 734 805. Kings Centre, 33 Amy Road, Oxted RH8 0PW
• Horley Baby Café, Monday 10am - 12pm T: 01293 820 068. The Horley Young People’s Centre (HYPC), The Old Fire Station, 5 Albert Road, Horley, RH6 7JA
• Redhill & Reigate Area Baby Café 10am - 12pm T: 01737 780 884. Dovers Green Children’s Centre, Rushetts Rd, Reigate RH2 7RF
• Caterham Baby Café, 10am - 12pm T: 01883 343 987. Caterham Children’s Centre, The Old Naafi, Weston Drive, Caterham CR3 5XY
Please check on the Baby Café website: www.thebabycafe.org. Most Baby Cafés are open term time only
For information about Starting Family Foods workshops in your area contact your local health visiting team
National Breastfeeding helpline: 0300 100 0212
(9.30am-9.30pm every day)
For information about voluntary and social support in your area contact:
The National Childbirth Trust: 0300 330 0771 (8am-midnight every day,
La Leche League: 0345 1202918 (24 hour),
Association of Breastfeeding Mothers helpline: 0300 330 5453, (09.30-10.30pm every day).
It recommended that everyone over 1 year of age should take a 10 micrograms of Vitamin D supplement daily. And as a precaution, breastfed babies from birth up to 1 year of age should also be given a supplement of 8.5 to 10 micrograms of Vitamin D every day. Babies who are formula fed do not require vitamin D supplement if they having 500ml per day of infant formula or more. Vitamin D supplementation is important because we and our children are unable to get enough Vitamin D from sunlight in this country, or from diet alone.
Speak to your health visitor or nursery nurse for more information about why Vitamin D is important. Healthy Start vitamins are available to buy or exchange for healthy start vouchers at every Children's Centre in Surrey. Find your nearest Healthy Start stockist.
Teams and contact details
Our Health Visitor Advice Lines provide support for you and your family on all aspects of child health, development and parenting. This includes feeding, an unsettled baby, management of minor illnesses, child development and behaviour, immunisations and concerns about your own emotional wellbeing.
Mid Surrey area (covering Banstead, Dorking, East Elmbridge, Epsom, Ewell, Leatherhead and Tattenham)
Health Visitor Advice Line
9.30am-1pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 020 8979 6464
|Banstead and Tattenham 0-19 Team
||Tattenham Health Centre||01737 361 031|
|Dorking 0-19 Team
||01306 748 901|
|East Elmbridge 0-19 Team
||Molesey Clinic||020 8979 6464|
|Epsom and Ewell 0-19 Team
||Epsom Clinic||01372 730 040|
|Leatherhead 0-19 Team
||Leatherhead Clinic||01372 384 300|
East Surrey area (covering Redhill, Reigate, Merstham, Horley, Oxted, Caterham and Lingfield)
Health Visitor Advice Line:
8am to 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 01883 340 922
|East Surrey 0-19 Team
||Caterham Dene||01883 340 922|
West Surrey area (covering Woking, Guildford, Runnymede, Spelthorne, West Elmbridge, Surrey Heath and Waverley boroughs)If you need advice and support about any aspect of caring for your child, including their health, development and behaviour, please contact your area team on the numbers below.
Sure Start Children’s Centres are located in your local community and offer advice and support for families with children under five years. Services include: breastfeeding support, and information about nutrition and healthy lifestyles from pregnancy and beyond.