A dedicated health visiting and school nursing service for children, young people and families who are homeless or vulnerably housed in temporary hostel, guesthouse or refuge accommodation within the east Surrey catchment area (covering Redhill, Reigate, Merstham, Horley, Oxted, Caterham and Lingfield).
The team is made up of a Specialist Community Public Health Nurse, a Community Staff Nurse and Community Nursery Nurses.
They offer help and advice on a range of topics including:
- Antenatal contact for expectant mothers
- New birth visit and newborn hearing screening
- Support and advice with feeding and healthy eating for children aged 0-2, 2-5, 5-11 and 11-19
- Postnatal depression advice and support
- Health assessments and development reviews
- Support with parenting and behaviour issues
- Toilet training and bedwetting advice
- Sleep strategies for infants and children
- Sexual health advice
- Children and young people's emotional health assessment
- Support with accessing GPs, schools and early years education.
Team and contact details
Tel: 01883 340 922
This service is not currently offered in other parts of Surrey.
Sure Start Children’s Centres are located in your local community and offer advice and support for families with children under five years. Services include: breastfeeding support, and information about nutrition and healthy lifestyles from pregnancy and beyond.
Recommended reading for parents to be and new parents
1.Gerhardt S (2004) Why Love Matters: How affection shapes a baby’s brain (Hove: Routledge) ISBN 978-1-58391-817-3
2.Sunderland M (2007) What Every Parent Needs to Know: The incredible effects of love, nurture and play on your child’s development (London: Dorling Kindersley) ISBN 978-1-4053-2036-8
3. Promoting Emotional Wellbeing: Learn how to grow your baby’s brain
Breastfeeding support in East Surrey
Baby Cafés provide support for breastfeeding mothers in a relaxed environment.
Oxted Baby Café, Monday 1:30pm-3pm - 01883 734 805
Kings Centre, 33 Amy Road, Oxted RH8 0PW
Horley Baby Café, Mondays 10am-12pm - 01293 820 068
The Horley Young People’s Centre (HYPC), The Old Fire Station, 5 Albert Road, Horley, RH6 7JA
Redhill & Reigate Area Baby Café Weds 10am-12pm - 01737 780 884
Dovers Green Children’s Centre, Rushetts Rd, Reigate RH2 7RF
Caterham Baby Café, Thursdays 10am-12pm - 01883 343 987
Caterham Children’s Centre, The Old Naafi, Weston Drive, Caterham CR3 5XY
Please check on the Baby Café website: www.thebabycafe.org
Most Baby Cafés are open term time only.