When you are around 28 weeks pregnant, you may be offered the opportunity to meet with a health visitor from your local team. This is an important chance to discuss your pregnancy, your baby’s wellbeing and preparing you and your partner for parenthood.
During your appointment you will have the chance to discuss:
- Information on the latest research of how parenting can impact on a child’s developing brain
- The importance of positive interaction and sensitive parenting to support your child’s emotional development from birth
- Advice and support on preparing to feed your baby in the early days, with information on responsive feeding, breastfeeding and formula feeding
- Coping with crying and tiredness
- The support that you as new parents may find useful and the services available in your local area.
It recommended that everyone over 1 year of age should take a 10 micrograms of Vitamin D supplement daily. And as a precaution, breastfed babies from birth up to 1 year of age should also be given a supplement of 8.5 to 10 micrograms of Vitamin D every day. Babies who are formula fed do not require vitamin D supplement if they having 500ml per day of infant formula or more. Vitamin D supplementation is important because we and our children are unable to get enough Vitamin D from sunlight in this country, or from diet alone.
Speak to your health visitor or nursery nurse for more information about why Vitamin D is important. Healthy Start vitamins are available to buy or exchange for healthy start vouchers at every Children's Centre in Surrey.
Breastfeeding support in mid Surrey
The information below is correct as of February 2017. However, the dates and times of clinics do change from time to time, so please do ring them first to check the clinic is still running before leaving home. If any of the information below is incorrect, please do tell us so we can update it for others (email: email@example.com). Thank you.
- Riverview Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in as part of baby group) 9.30am - 11am (except on Bank Holidays) T: 020 8337 7310. Riverview Road, West Ewell, KT19 OJP
- Bourne Hall Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12 noon (except on Bank Holidays). T: 0208 394 1301. Bourne Hall Health Centre (1st floor), Ewell Village, Ewell, KT17 1TG (we ask that if possible you park at the Bourne Hall Library and Civic Centre as parking at the health centre is extremely limited and is often required by the elderly and infirm. Thank you)
- Ashtead Little Treasure's Baby Group (drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) 11am - 12.30pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 01372 812 754. St Georges Christian Centre, Barnett Wood Lane, Ashtead KT21 2DA (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
- Epsom Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in) 1pm - 3pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 01372 749 834. Pound Lane, Epsom, KT19 8SD
- Naturally Yours Breastfeeding Cafe (drop-in) Monday 1pm - 3pm (except on Bank Holidays) T: 0208 722 0280. Thomas Wall Children's Centre, 69 Western Road, Sutton, SM1 2SX.
- Breastfeeding Support Group (drop-in) 10.00am - 12 noon T: 01737 355 302. The Children's Centre, Epsom Downs Primary School, St Leonard's Road, Epsom Downs, KT18 5RJ
- Rockers & Rollers Baby group (0-6 months only) Breastfeeding and Infant feeding advice 10am - 11.30am T: 01372 730 435. St Martin's Children's Centre, Worple Road, Epsom KT18 7AA (NB. Numbers are restricted due to small venue)
- Leatherhead Little Treasures Baby Group(drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) Every 2nd Tuesday of the month 10am – 11.30am T: 01372 812 754. Leatherhead Trinity Children's Centre, Aperdele Road, Leatherhead KT22 7QT (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
- Thames Ditton Children's Centre Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12 noon T: 0208 979 6464. Mercer Close, Thames Ditton, Surrey, KT7 0BS
- YMCA, Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in after Baby Groups) Wednesday 12.15 - 1pm T: 01737 362 058. The Horseshoe, Bolters Lane, Banstead, SM7 2BQ
- Tweedale Children's Centre Breastfeeding Clinic (drop-in) 10am - 12.00 noon T: 0208 404 1640. Tweedale Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 1SW (Note: free parking in Sutton Arena - opposite the centre)
- Bookham Little Treasure's Baby Group (drop-in for new and pregnant mothers) 10am – 11.30am (term time only) T: 01372 812 754. Leatherhead Trinity Children's Centre, Bookham Baptist Church, Lower Road, Bookham KT23 4DH (antenatal mothers are welcome to attend to get information on breastfeeding and to meet new mothers and other pregnant mums-to-be)
- Dorking Children's Centre (drop in) 1.30pm - 3.30pm T: 01306 743 341/882 397. Goodwyns Road, Dorking, RH4 2LR
- Meadow Sure Start Children's Centre (drop-in) 9.30am - 11.30am T: 020 8393 9320. Sparrow Farm Road (entrance via Waverley Road), Stoneleigh, KT17 2LW
Breastfeeding support in east Surrey
Baby Cafés provide support for breastfeeding mothers in a relaxed environment.
- Oxted Baby Café 1.30pm - 3pm T: 01883 734 805. Kings Centre, 33 Amy Road, Oxted RH8 0PW
- Horley Baby Café, Monday 10am - 12pm T: 01293 820 068. The Horley Young People’s Centre (HYPC), The Old Fire Station, 5 Albert Road, Horley, RH6 7JA
- Redhill & Reigate Area Baby Café 10am - 12pm T: 01737 780 884. Dovers Green Children’s Centre, Rushetts Rd, Reigate RH2 7RF
- Caterham Baby Café, 10am - 12pm T: 01883 343 987. Caterham Children’s Centre, The Old Naafi, Weston Drive, Caterham CR3 5XY
Please check on the Baby Café website: www.thebabycafe.org. Most Baby Cafés are open term time only.
Breastfeeding support in west Surrey
- Snuggles & Cuddles Guildford 9.30am-11.30am T: 01483 566 589. Guildford Children’s Centre, Hazel Avenue, Guildford GU1 1NR (refreshments available)
- Woking Baby Café 10am - 12 noon T: 01483 727 900. The Y Pod Centre, Chobham Road, Woking, GU21 6JD (refreshments available)
- Clarendon Children’s Centre 2- 3.30pm (please phone first) T: 01784 424 759. Knapp Road, Ashford TW15 2HZ
- Cranleigh Bosom Buddies 10am - 11.30am T: 01483 276 634. Cranleigh Baptist Church, 262 High St, Cranleigh GU6 8RT (refreshments available)
- Snuggles & Cuddles, Addlestone 12.30 to 2.30pm T: 01932 851 502. Sayes Court Children’s Centre, Sayes Court Farm Drive, Addlestone KT15 1NB (refreshments available)
- Royal Surrey County Hospital (midwives) 10.30am - 12 noon T: 01483 464 004
- Orchard Children's Centre 10-11.30am T: 01276 691 018. James Road Camberley GU15 2SD
- Spelthorne Breastfeeding Café 12.30pm - 2pm T: 01784 424 759. Clarendon Children’s Centre, Knapp Road, Ashford TW15 2HZ (refreshments available)
- Midwives community drop-in 11.30- 1pm (phone first please) T: 01276 473 093. School Lane, Bagshot, Surrey, GU19 5BP
- Snuggles & Cuddles Godalming 1pm - 3 pm T: 01483 419 325. Green Lane, Farncombe, Godalming GU7 3TB (refreshments available).
Our Health Visitor Advice Lines provide support for you and your family on all aspects of child health, development and parenting. This includes feeding, an unsettled baby, management of minor illnesses, child development and behaviour, immunisations and concerns about your own emotional wellbeing.
Teams and contact details
Mid Surrey area (covering Banstead, Dorking, East Elmbridge, Epsom, Ewell, Leatherhead and Tattenham)
Health Visitor Advice Line
9.30am-1pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 020 8979 6464
|Banstead and Tattenham 0-19 Team||Tattenham Health Centre||01737 361031|
|Dorking 0-19 Team||Medwyn Centre
|East Elmbridge 0-19 Team||Molesey Clinic||020 8979 6464|
|Epsom and Ewell 0-19 Team||Epsom Clinic||01372 730 040|
|Leatherhead 0-19 Team||Leatherhead Clinic||01372 384300
East Surrey area (covering Redhill, Reigate, Merstham, Horley, Oxted, Caterham and Lingfield)
Health Visitor Advice Line:
8am to 5pm Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
Tel: 01883 340 922
|East Surrey 0-19 Team||Caterham Dene||01883 340922|
If you need advice and support about any aspect of caring for your child, including their health, development and behaviour, please contact your area team on the numbers below.
West Surrey area (covering Woking, Guildford, Runnymede, Spelthorne, West Elmbridge, Surrey Heath and Waverley boroughs)
|North West Surrey area|
|Woking East Team||West Byfleet Health Centre||01932 340411|
|Woking West Team||Goldsworth Park Health Centre||01483 794885|
|Runnymede North Team||The Grove Community Health Centre, Egham||01483 783505|
|Runnymede South Team||Addlestone Health Centre||01932 846263|
|Surrey Heath Team||Berkshire Road Clinic||01483 782802|
|South West Surrey area|
|Guildford & Waverley North Team||The Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783288|
|Enuresis Team||The Jarvis Centre, Guildford||01483 783193|
|Guildford & Waverley East Teams||East Horsley Medical Centre||01483 284544|
|Send Villages Medical Centre||01483 211127|
|Cranleigh Team||01483 782440|
|Guildford & Waverley West Teams||Ash Vale Health Centre and Farnham Hospital||01483 782093|
|Guildford & Waverley South Team||Milford Hospital||01483 782631|
|North East Surrey area|
|Spelthorne Team||Ashford Clinic||01784 883728|
|West Elmbridge Teams||Weybridge and Walton
The Health Visitor advice and booking line is available from Monday to Friday 9am to 3 pm on: 01932 414 149.
Attendance at all baby clinics is by appointment only: Weybridge Children Centre, Burhill Children Centre, Walton Children Centre and Walton Health Centre.
To cancel, change or rebook a missed appointment, please call the Health Visiting Team who will be more than happy to help you.
Sure Start Children’s Centres in your local community offer advice and support for families. We work in partnership with Children's Centres to provide services including: breastfeeding support, and information about nutrition and healthy lifestyles from pregnancy and beyond.